RSS

What If

This song by Babyface always messes me up. “What if” are two very dangerous words. You could ‘what if’ yourself into a whole different reality and still not change anything about the present. My favorite ‘what if’ movie is Sliding Doors. The whole movie is about one big what if scenario. In one life, Gwyneth Paltrow’s character gets fired & returns home early to find her live-in boyfriend in bed with another woman. In the other life, she misses her train, gets home late and doesn’t catch the boyfriend cheating. The simple action of the sliding doors that caused her to miss the train, changed her whole life.

Unfortunately in real life we don’t get to see all of our options play out. We have to make blind decisions and hope that we made the right ones. We end things, we move on and we convince ourselves that it was ‘for the best’. That generally works but sometimes you get that call or that message from that person that you makes you wonder, did I do the right thing? What if overreacted? What if I was wrong? What if we were supposed to be together?

I want to believe that true love conquers all but I’m no fool either. If everything happens for a reason and what’s meant to be will be then I guess time will tell if I was right or wrong. In the meantime, I’m not gonna hold my breath or walk around dreaming about what if.

0 comments:

Post a Comment