RSS

Something Good

“An open enemy is better than a false friend.” – Greek Proverb

If you’re going to call someone your friend, I think that you should have something good to say about them. That’s not to say that your friend won’t ever work your last nerve or make you want to cuss her out occasionally, but the good should outweigh the bad. We all hear the stories about these people who have these awful horrible “friends” who do all these awful horrible things. It makes me want to scream, “WHY ARE YOU HER FRIEND AGAIN?” Please, TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD.

Why do people keep others around as “friends” but do nothing but talk about them? If the person is so bad that all you can do is talk about them, why keep them around and keep calling them your “friend” but talk about them behind their back? That’s unnecessary. If that person is truly your friend, shouldn’t you be trying to help him or her overcome the issues that you are talking about? If you feel that you have reached your limit of trying and it has fallen on deaf ears then maybe you should step back from the situation. Just cut them off or at least take a break. Friendships need that sometimes.

I was in a situation in which it got to the point that I realized I had nothing good to say about the person, only negative things. I had to let that person go. In situations like those, that person is not a “friend”. If the person is truly as awful as you claim they are, why would you want to call them your friend? Is it so that you can say you have more friends? Is it so you can have someone around to talk about in order to make yourself feel better? I don’t know the answer but these are questions that make me wonder. In my opinion, there are really only two options. Either the person really is as bad as you say, in which case you probably shouldn’t be dealing with them or you’re just going on and on about a bunch of bullshit that doesn’t really matter and you need to stop.

I can say now that I only have GOOD THINGS to say about all the people in my life. If you ask me about one of them, I will tell you something good. Do we have disagreements? Sure! Do they work my nerves occasionally? Absolutely! But am I complaining and talking about how horrible they are and how they wronged me to anyone that will listen while still calling them my “friend”? Absolutely not! That’s how I think it should be.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you reference the true attributes of a friend are when you are able to way the good and the bad. I think in everything you do, you should be able to have a baseline and weigh the good and the bad s a reference point to help you make the right decision. However, when there is more bad than good and a a lack of trust, you already know to pray about it, cancel the friendship, and allow God to bring you better connections that can help you reach your God given purpose filled destiny!!! I love this posting. This was definitely written from the heart!!!
Tabatha

Post a Comment