RSS

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Over the weekend I made my first of many relocation prep trips to Atlanta to check things out. I was lucky enough to line up two interviews on the same day in hopes of minimizing my airfare costs. Unfortunately, because the interviews were scheduled for less than 10 days out I had to make some hard decisions about getting to Atlanta.

I couldn’t hop my normal Continental or Air Tran non-stop flight because the price was outrageous. I am a notorious budget traveler so paying $550 for a flight that normally costs $150 was definitely out of the question. After many hours of flight searches and research I found a flight on American Airlines from Austin to Birmingham for $232. I had a flight credit with American for $300 so that would work out perfectly…or would it?

I decided to drive from Houston to Austin, fly from Austin to Birmingham (with a layover in DFW) and then drive from Birmingham to Atlanta. I figured it would be “fun”… Life is all about the journey right? Let me tell you, plans made on paper do not always translate well in application. American Airlines was late and I didn’t arrive to my hotel until 2 a.m. the morning of my interview! Ironically, I love Atlanta so much that even after all the drama I was just happy to be there.

The interviews both went well but I am 100% more interested in one company than the other one. Some people questioned the logic of paying to fly to a company just for an interview but I have a sense about these things. From the moment I received the call, I knew the job was for me and I still feel that way. Even after being completely exhausted the entire trip, I can feel things lining up on my behalf. I found a place, met some potential friends and even found time to check out a local sushi bar. The job opportunity that I’m up for is amazing & I’m looking forward to doing it all again when I return for my 3rd and final interview in two weeks. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment